In the world-changing quest to create Special Olympics, founder Eunice Kennedy Shriver (EKS) spoke out for a cause that was often ignored and underrepresented in her time: the inclusion of children and adults with intellectual disabilities. She believed that through training and competing in sports, athletes would be inspired and realize their potential for incredible growth. To bring this ever-important topic to the forefront, Mrs. Shriver made countless speeches in her lifetime. She spoke out for equal
opportunities in sport, the need for social inclusion, the passion and
determination of athletes and their families, and the inspiration that comes from this hard work and perseverance.
Like Mrs. Shriver, the Unified Generation is leading the charge for inclusion in schools and communities all over the country, acting as agents of change and inspiring others by advocating for this cause. Special Olympics wants to hear about YOUR passion for inclusion with the EKS Challenge.
Take the EKS Challenge for a chance to attend the Special Olympics World Games Abu Dhabi 2019 as a Special Olympics USA Youth Leader. Here, you will have an international educational experience to learn about Special Olympics and how schools and communities are leading the charge for social inclusion.
To Enter (Please review the official Challenge Rules for complete rules – CLICK HERE)
• Must be 20 years or younger, a US citizen residing in the United States and currently enrolled in high school to enter the Challenge
• You may participate in the Challenge individually or as part of a Unified pair (one individual with an intellectual disability and one individual without)
• Write a 2-3 minute speech on the meaning of inclusion and what it means to you, and record a video of yourself (and your Unified partner (if any) presenting the speech
• You may post the video to YouTube and use the YouTube link in your post or upload directly to Facebook or Twitter (the maximum video length for Twitter is 2 minutes and 20 seconds)
• In the post, tag @SONorthAmerica and include the hashtag #EKSChallenge
• Must be following @SONorthAmerica on the social channel you posted your entry (Facebook or Twitter)
Deadline: December 7 , 2018
The individual or Unified Pair will be selected by an internal committee of Special Olympics International staff. This committee will choose the video whose speech best represents the pioneering spirit of Eunice Kennedy Shriver and inspires the #UnifiedGeneration. This GenerationUnified.org challenge is supported and funded by the U.S. Office of Special Education Programs at the U.S. Department of Education.